Department: Clinical Laboratory
Reporting Structure: Director, Laboratory Operations
Key Requirements and Duties: The Histology Associate is responsible for a variety of duties involving the pre-analytical process. This includes processing of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tumor samples (microtome sectioning, macrodissectionand laser microdissection, and histological staining) and other lab operational tasks.
- Sectioning of tissue samples for microscopic examination using a microtome.
- Re-embedding of tissue blocks as needed.
- Operation and use of automated slide stainer.
- Laser Capture Microdissection of tissue onslides,under supervision of a pathologist.
- Macrodissection (tissue scraping) on slides.
- Specimen labeling and verification of sample identifiers and information against source documents.
- Performsdaily inventory or maintenance activities in thehistology department.
- Troubleshootsgeneral problems including missing or conflictingidentifier.
- Clerical and administrative functions within the laboratory operation,including documentation tomaintain compliance with state, CLIA, and CAP requirements.
- Operate the Laboratory Information System software for various lab workflows.
- Workswell in a cross-functional team environment with meticulous attention to detail, strongdata entry skills, excellent communication skills, and strong organizationalskills.
- Be a self-starter in resolving discrepancies and proactively improving operationalefficiencies.
- Focuseson quality of patienttestingand maintaining turn-aroundtimes.
- Work schedule may be modified to meet operationalrequirements.
- Performsother duties asassigned.
Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
- Associate degree in a biological science field or equivalent
- At least 3years of laboratory experience (preferablyindustry)
- Experience in histological techniques, including tissue processing, embedding, microtome sectioning, histochemical staining; as well as know-how of light microscopy, microscope imaging and quantitative histological techniques
- Highly organized, ability towork independently, follow standard operating procedures
- HT or HTL (ASCP) preferred, but not required
- On the job training including, but not limited to: HIPAA, and safety procedures
If interested, please submit a copy of your CV/Resume to us to apply.E-mail